Sunday 1 April 2007

Wyld Stallyons








Wyld Stallyons was born on the first of October 2006. Comprised of animation director Chris Sayer, illustrator Richard May, Pixelsurgeon cofounder Jason Arber, motion designer Chris Hewitt (aka Dstrukt), and financial director Ian Trisk-Grove, we create Moving Image work for the music, broadcast and advertising industries.

KEY STAFF:

CHRIS SAYER
Formerly of award winning moving image and design house Intro, Chris has worked on music videos for bands such as Orson, The Doves, Joss Stone and Pet Shop Boys, and broadcast title graphics for numerous BBC productions. Chris was Director of Animation on the BBC funded feature-length animation, The Snow Queen.

RICHARD MAY
Black Convoy illustration collective and Pixelsurgeon.com cofounder Richard May has produced hundreds of illustrations for a diverse range of editorial, publishing and corporate clients, such as Wired, Vogue, Peugeot, British Airways, Nordstrom and Waterstones.

JASON ARBER
Jason is a highly respected industry figure, holding senior positions at NOWWASHYOURHANDS, Carat International, and Green Cathedral. Jason is an experienced graphic designer, web designer, photographer and writer, and is also co-founder, and Editor-in-Chief of Pixelsurgeon. Previous clients include Adidas, Vodafone, MTV, The Arts Council and Daihatsu.

CHRIS HEWITT
Working under his Dstrukt guise Chris has produced work for a variety of big name, international clients, including MTV Networks Europe, Channel 5, BBC, VH1, Vodafone, Rolls Royce and Discovery Channel. Featured in numerous industry publications and presenting at various design conferences in the UK Chris has received critical acclaim in both online and traditional media.

Thier work is the kind that really inspires me. I think this is because they are a collaborative multidisciplined group working on well relised ideas for the compemporary market. I have seen plenty from Chris Dstrukt before now, and knew that it was all too good to be just the work on one man alone! This must be true of many of these type of operators, e.g. i see the typography designs on one persons site, then on another person's showreel the same work is being animated in a motion piece.

I am realising that it is impossible to be great at everything (unless you are the design world's equivalent of Prince or Stevie Wonder), therefore I think I will need to work out what I can make my speciality so I could become a great part of a team in future; I have always thought being a great typographer would always be handy, especially if I could create fresh logotypes form non standard commercially available typefaces. The only problem is that at the moment I don't know if I'll be good at it, as I haven't tried doing any yet. If Alan and Adam want to set me work like that do over the summer, that would be handy.

I have been trying to email a few of these people, and have had no joy, however I will be in London staying within half a mile of Wyld Stallyons office, so I will try and see if I could actually pop in to see them.

UPDATE - I got an email back off them:

1. how much of your work is motion graphics, and do your designers / illustrators etc. do much work outside of this area?

All our paid work is motion graphics, although I run Pixelsurgeon outside of Wyld Stallyons, and *that* is a labour of love!

2. does it pay enough or are you all in a labour of love situation?

It pays. Perhaps not enough just yet, but we've only been in business for six months.

3. do you all still have to work very long hours or does that calm down after you get established?

We still work long hours; but occasionally we get to see our families. We work long hours partly out of necessity and partly because we love it.

4. any hot tips?

Do it because you love it.

No comments: