Sunday 29 April 2007

Summer School & Bruce Dunlop Associates

I recently filled out an application for McCann Erickson's Summer School program in Macclesfield. This could be a great opportunity to gain work experience. Here's what was said:

1. What was the last big idea you had? (Not related to advertising or business.)

My wife and I have two daughters, so I would say my youngest daughter was the last big idea.

2. What bribes/qualifications do you have that would convince us that you’re cool enough for school?

Since the early 90’s I have worked as a record producer, remixer and globe-trotting DJ (this pays enough to fund my return to education). Years of travel have given me a real insight into spotting global trends plus a good understanding of the universal language of branding.

3. Have you any idea of what you’re getting in to?


I think I have a pretty good idea. Brainstorming, team-playing, and good old-fashioned hard work should factor highly.

4. Where would advertising be without the internet? (Max 100 words).
Oh and what site do you visit the most?


I would say that good advertising has always been about fresh ideas and timing. In recent times however, viral marketing/advertising has revolutionized advertising, breaking the stronghold of the major TV stations and their biggest shows. This means more quantity and variety in advertising, (the best ideas can as easily come from a college student or a huge agency). The internet also has a global reach. The mainstream ad agencies are starting to re-appropriate the best viral/p2p ideas.

My most visited site is http://www.motionographer.com/ - A design portal which concentrates on Motion Graphics. Many of the world’s best ads, idents and music videos are posted here.

5. You’ve just entered the Dragon’s Den. Use no more than 100 words
to pitch your award winning business idea.


Natra-Pak - Biodegradable packaging for food: Kellogg’s annual turnover alone is $100, thus creating billions of tons of waste via packaging. My business has pioneered 90% biodegradable bags, made out of vegetable matter. These bags have a standard zip lock to reseal the food product within for freshness (the handle part can be snapped off and re-used on further bags).

The manufacturers can choose to place these bags within cardboard boxes (which can be recycled), or simply sell in branded bags.

6. The Dragons seem interested. Explain how you would reach your customers
and then how you plan to expand your business in the future. (Max 100 words.)


The product would be initially sold to the big cereal manufacturers, upping their virtually non-existent green credentials, thus helping them to be seen as ‘saviours of the environment’. The current pressure on businesses to be seen to be doing something about the environment will grow over the next decade, and this product will help pre-empt this problem.

The big cereal manufacturers such as Kellogs and Nestle’s upfront investment and early use of this technology (which will surely become industry standard in future) can be used as a big publicity stunt. Patented technology will enable us to license the product globally, used across many more types of food packaging.

7. Tell us about a trend that’s going to change the way we look at things?

Integration and synthesis; the recent shift towards higher, cheaper bandwidth, and cheaper technology will mean more screens. The combination of images, video and sound, once restricted to television and movie advertising can additionally be shown to similar effect on any screen from mobile phones, electronic billboards and any modern computer, all connected to the web wirelessly. I predict that it will be increasingly difficult to avoid these in any urban environment (this is already happening, but this is just the tip of the iceberg).

8. Our swimming pool is redundant 99% of the time – what would you do with it?


Throw it open to the public, free, as an advertising stunt.


9. And finally, why do you not want a proper job?


I do. This is to help get me one!

In addition to this summer school, I have made arrangements to work at Bruce Dunlop Associates Sydney office for a week whilst I am over there touring. Final etails are yet to be arranged, but this is a bonus for me as I will already be out there doinga small DJ tour which will pay fairly well. In the past I had always spent the week between gigs chilling, but I didn't want to waste my time this time. This solution is ideal. I will be massively jet-legged whilst being dropped in the deep end with a real firm. lovely!

No comments: