Sunday 1 April 2007

Grunshaw











Neil Grunshaw is another outstanding motion designer I like from the UK. Like Dstrukt he has his own decidely British take that resonates with me more than some of the more flashy American stuff around. His reel speaks for itself!

I emailed him these questions:


1. How much percantage of your stuff is screen design and how much animation? (percentage wise). and where should i conecntrate my time studying over the next year?
2. Is motion work stuff reasonably well paid, or is it truly a labour of love?
3. do you have any early influences? (i'd like to be able to get a glimpse behind the ideas that make up todays motion graphics, search them out)

and got these answers:


100% of the stuff on my reel was animated by myself, and a good 75 percent was designed by me too. As a freelancer though you do end up doing more actual animation rather than design for the simple reason that the pay is better! Remember, companies don't get paid for pitching. Also, there are surprisingly few good, quick After Effects people out there, so our skills are in demand!

Obviously good design is at the heart of everything we do but practically you should spend time learning AE inside out. It's a huge program, you can literally do anything you want in it, nothing is impossible! Clients know this, and they'll really push you to your limits. Also, use of a 3D package is pretty much essential in my opinion, it makes life a lot easier, and it makes you much more employable and indispensable to clients. I use Cinema 4D for it's simplicity and top-notch After Effects integration.

Motion graphics can be well paid, but usually only if you are freelance. I charge £***!!xx per day (rate removed at artists request). Staff jobs are notoriously badly paid, especially for a junior. Only thing is, you really need 3+ years in a production environment to gain enough experience to go freelance, and the only way to do that is as a staffer. I didn't study graphic design at uni, I did fine art, so I started out as a runner at Addiction. It was really hard work, but I gain invaluable experience, not just in the graphics side of things either, you gain a real insight into the whole production process. You could study design at the best college in the world still end up having to be a runner to get a foot in the door so be prepared for that.

If you are serious about a career in motion graphics, you pretty much have to be in London, unfortunately. I wish it wasn't like that to be fair as I don't like being tied to one place, but that's the way it is. Media folks are very short sighted that way!

I don't really have design influences, I tend to be influenced by music and comedy, and everyday stuff I see around me. I LOVE retro in all it's forms too, If I had my way i'd live in the mid 1960s. I'm a big fan of lo-fi too, I can't stand wanky uber-design! Retro influenced work doesn't date badly, either. My advice would be to find a look and go for it!

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to email me if you have any more questions.



This is invaluable to me, as it's my "non-reality" based ideal direction. It all looks ok, except those two big bits about having to be in London and being a runner and grafting for buttons for a while.. oh well. still, I'm still keen to be honest, but I'm sure my wife won't be. shite. arse. oh well....

No comments: