Thursday 17 May 2007

CONTINUED CONCLUSIONS

I have had a really good long think about looking at the outcome of my professional studies and the related pathway for year 2 of this course, and have come to these conclusions:

Whilst I have a small interest in Motion Graphics for the web, I don't feel that I should be getting into a big stress about it. What I am and have been mostly into since the first day I arrived here in September 2006, is good graphic design, and image-making. I know Jon Burton and Martin Pritchard feel that same way; we all dig the motion part, but the majority part of what we're into and want to do is based on good image-making, typography, composition, colour, vibe and hopefully some originality. I am much influenced by Non-Format as I am by Dstrukt.

I really want to work on my layered image making next year, and I would also like to look at some bespoke typography for logo/display use. I also want to get an original spin on what's out there and avoid blandness. I am definitely interested in motion, that animated aspect, but don't really want to spend too much time on the finer ends of action-scripting if it means it's going to take up lots of time. I feel that if I will need to work more on the web than in broadcast I should be able to address this later, as I think it's quite likely that I will stay on for the extra year and get a BA.

I recognise that there is an element of 'Blue Sky Thinking' in my plan for my future career, but I honestly feel that there is little point basing future career choices on the current working environment as it is certain to change by summer 2009. I am seeing motion graphics everywhere now, it's all over the TV, idents, adverts, the news, even in my local Spar, and this will certainly increase. In addition to this, I think that to be good at this you have to be first and foremost, a good designer. This is the foundation and skills can be transferred. I am just going to stick to my guns, and try and work hard but also have some fun with it.

No comments: